Historic Markers Across Georgia



The Female College - 1833-1889



Marker ID: NCHS 16
Location: Located in the park on College Avenue between Oak Street and Davis Street, Covington, GA
County: Newton
Coordinates: N 33° 35.751    W 083° 51.438
  33.59585    -83.8573
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: WM73QC
The Female College - 1833-1889 Marker  



Text:

This private institution, although undergoing several trusteeships and name changes, continuously functioned as an exclusive female school for over 50 years. It attracted students from southern states as well as local young ladies. Out of town students boarded with Covington residence. In 1863, the college having been closed during the war served as a Confederate hospital. Union forces partially destroyed the building. Reopened in 1867, it remained a female college until 1889 when the newly formed Covington City School Commission acquired the property. There was a gradual merging of the Female College, the Male Academy, as well as other Covington scholars. Thus the Covington Public School System was formed.

Placed By Landmark Committee
Newton County Historical Site 16 May 22, 1996



 

The Female College - 1833-1889

Notes:

College Avenue SE –Covington between Oak Street and Davis Street

 

107-N16