Historic Markers Across Georgia



Covington City School - 1889-1949



Marker ID: NCHS 17
Location: Located in the park on College Avenue between Oak Street and Davis Street, Covington, GA
County: Newton
Coordinates: N 33° 35.751    W 083° 51.439
  33.59585    -83.85731666
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: WM73QB
Covington City School - 1889-1949 Marker  



Text:

The old female college building served the City of Covington Public School system and to 1896 when a new building replaced the old structure. At the turn of the century measures to improve public education were begun. A 9-month term was instituted. Teachers had to pass state examinations. The curriculum was broadened. The 11th grade was added. An auditorium was constructed in 1909. This site served the students of Covington until consolidation of the City and County School Systems in 1947. The last senior class to graduate from Covington High School was in 1949. The elementary school moved to E. L. Fioquett in 1957.

Placed By Landmark Committee
Newton County Historical Site 17 May 22, 1996



 

Covington City School - 1889-1949

Notes:

Another beautiful building, the Covington City School,
replaced the Old Female College structure in 1896. It remained
the center of education for Covington Youth until 1949.

 

107-N17