Historic Markers Across Georgia



Old Church - 1841



Marker ID: NCHS 19
Location: at Old Church on Wesley Street at Fletcher Street in Oxford, GA.
County: Newton
Coordinates: N 33° 37.500    W 083° 52.270
  33.625    -83.87116666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM73Q4
Old Church - 1841 Marker  



Text:

Old Church was the first Chapel of Emory College, and a church for Methodists in Oxford, a pulpit for scholar--preachers. It was the center of Methodism in the South when the issue of slavery split the Church in 1844, contributing to the succession of Southern states. It was used as an infirmary during the Civil War. The church remained a regular place of worship until 1910.

1932 - 1936 - Recognized as a historic landmark by DAR
1949 - Final session of Annual Conference held in Old Church
1972 - Oxford designated historic Heritage Landmark of the United Methodist Church
1974 -Oxford Historical Shrine Society, Inc., assumed responsibility of property, located on City land
1975 - Oxford District listed on National Register of Historic Places
1966 -- 1999 - Closed for major restoration
June 18, 2000 - Rededication Service

Placed By Landmark Committee
Newton County Historical Site 19 June 16, 2000



 
Old Emory Church
Old Church - 1841


 

107-N19