Historic Markers Across Georgia



Kitty's Cottage - 1842



Marker ID: NCHS 20
Location: Behind Old Church on Wesley Street at Fletcher Street in Oxford, GA.
County: Newton
Coordinates: N 33° 37.51    W 083° 52.304
  33.62516666    -83.87173333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM73PZ
Kitty's Cottage - 1842 Marker  



Text:

Kitty´s cottage was built in 1842 by Bishop James O. Andrew for an inherited slave who could not be freed and still live in Georgia; Kitty preferred to remain with the Andrew family rather than be sent to Africa. In 1938 Kitty´s cottage was bought and moved to Salem Campground for safe-keeping. In 1994 the board of Salem Campground offered to help move Kitty´s Cottage back to Oxford. The City and the Oxford Historical Shrine Society worked together to help bring this sacred treasure back home. It was placed behind Old Church, near its original site. It is now a museum.

Placed By Landmark Committee
Newton County Historical Site 20 June 1, 2000



 
Kitty's Cottage
Kitty's Cottage - 1842


 

107-N20