Historic Markers Across Georgia



Washington Street School



Marker ID: NCHS 23
Location: School St, Covington, GA.
County: Newton
Coordinates: N 33° 35.620    W 083° 52.100
  33.59366666    -83.86833333
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: WM75J2
Washington Street School Marker  



Text:

Washington Street School
A Bedrock of Black History in Newton County, GA.

In 1889 Washington Street School was established under the Covington City School system. The old building burned in 1939. Students and faculty met for two years in Black Churches.
1941 -- At new brick school house was completed. The name and traditions remained the same.
1947 - The city and county school systems consolidated.
1955 - Washington Street High School - faculty and students moved to R. L. Cousins School.
1971 - The Washington Street grammar school closed.
1979 - Washington Street Community Center Inc. was organized.

Washington Street School -- A Beloved Legacy
"Consider education not as the painful accumulation of facts but as the transmission of our mental, moral, technical and aesthetic heritage as fully as possible to as many as possible" Durant

Placed By Landmark Committee
Newton County Historical Site 23 January 6, 2003



 

 

107-N23