Historic Markers Across Georgia



Eagle Tavern



Marker ID: GHM 108-5
Location: Opposite courthouse on US 129/US 441 in Watkinsville
County: Oconee
Coordinates: N 33° 51.834    W 083° 24.57
  33.86389923    -83.40950012
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7KE0
Eagle Tavern Marker  



Text:

Eagle Tavern, or Hotel, was the center of social and political life in Watkinsville for more than a hundred years. It was saved from destruction in 1934 by Lanier Richardson Billups of Decatur, Georgia, who deeded it to the State in 1956.

The oldest section of the building, which is of the ´Plain Style,´ has been restored. It has two rooms upstairs and two rooms downstairs. Separate doors lead into the two rooms on the first floor. One door enters the tavern, the other a store or trading area. This part of the Tavern was built in the first decades of the 1800´s when Watkinsville was a growing frontier town, the County Seat of original Clarke County, and the crossroads of travel northward from Madison and Greensboro.

In 1836 Richard C. Richardson bought and, over a period of years, made additions to the original tavern, stage-stop, and store. Having removed these additions, restored the earliest section, and installed appropriate furnishings and exhibits, the Georgia Historical Commission presents Eagle Tavern as a museum devoted to the pre-Civil War, pre-railroad era when wagon and stage travel was at its height.

A Georgia Historical Commission historic site dedicated May 21, 1966.

GHM 108-5 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1966



 
Eagle Tavern Museum
Eagle Tavern


 

108-5