Historic Markers Across Georgia



E.D. Stroud School / A Georgia Equalization School



Marker ID: GHS 108-2
Location: at the Colham Ferry Elementary School, 191 Colham Ferry Road, Watkinsville, GA
County: Oconee
Coordinates: N 33° 50.875    W 083° 24.515
  33.84791666    -83.40858333
  The coordinates have been estimated
based on the location of the marker.
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
E.D. Stroud School  /  A Georgia Equalization School Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

E. D. Stroud School was established in 1956 is part of a statewide "equalization" effort in George's African-American public schools. As part of Georgia's massive resistance to federally mandated school integration, politicians and school officials sought to address the blatant geographic and racial disparities in education by constructing hundreds of new (but still segregated) schools across the state during the 1950s- 60s. This school was built to replace Watkinsville Rosenwald School, located here until it's demolition in 1956. Named for Rosenwald School Principal Edwin David Stroud, E. D. Stroud School included a home economics lab as well as workshops and cannery in addition to traditional academic subjects. In 1969, as part of a countywide plan for desegregation, E. D. Stroud School became the integrated Oconee County Intermediate School. The school was renamed Colham Ferry Elementary School in 1996.




E.D. Stroud School  /  A Georgia Equalization School
Photo by David Seibert


Notes:

Dedication: May 17, 2014

More Information:
Wikipedia - Rosenwald School
National Trust for Historic Preservation - Rosenwald Schools, A National Treasure
Wikipedia - Julius Rosenwald
Wikipedia - Booker T. Washington

 

108-HS02