Historic Markers Across Georgia



Elder's Mill Covered Bridge



Marker ID: GHS 108-1
Location: Elder Mill Rd. S. of Ga. 15
County: Oconee
Coordinates: N 33° 48.192    W 083° 21.822
  33.80319977    -83.36370087
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMZP4
Elder's Mill Covered Bridge Marker  



Text:

Built in 1897 by Nathaniel Richardson, this 99-foot-long bridge originally carried the Watkinsville-Athens Road over Calls Creek. It was moved here to Rose Creek in 1924 and the road was relocated to its present site. The nearby c. 1900 grist mill ceased operation in 1941. Constructed in the Town lattice design, the bridge´s web of planks crisscrossing at 45- to 60-degree angles are fastened with wooden pegs, or trunnels, at each intersection. It is one of the few covered bridges in Georgia continuing to carry traffic without underlying steel beams.

2001.21 Erected by the Georgia Historical Society, Georgia Department of Transportation, and the Federal Highway Administration 108-1



 
Elder's Mill Covered Bridge
Elder's Mill Covered Bridge


 

108-HS1