Historic Markers Across Georgia



Oglethorpe County



Marker ID: GHM 109-4
Location: Courthouse in Lexington
County: Oglethorpe
Coordinates: N 33° 52.164    W 083° 6.672
  33.86940002    -83.11119843
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6RNQ
Oglethorpe County Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

This County created by an Act of the Legislature Dec. 19, 1793, is named for Gen. James E. Oglethorpe, founder of Georgia. Born in London, England, Dec. 22, 1696, Oglethorpe left England in Nov. 1732 with 116 settlers and arrived at Yamacraw in Jan. 1733, where he established the settlement which is now the city of Savannah. He later brought over 150 Scotch Highlanders & some German Protestants from Salzburg. He returned finally to England in 1743 and resigned his Georgia Charter to the British Government in 1752. Always a friend of America, he died July 1, 1785.

GHM 109-4 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954



 

 

109-4