Historic Markers Across Georgia



Liberty-Salem-Woodstock-Philomath



Marker ID: GHM 109-5
Location: Located at the church on Ga. 22 in Philomath, Ga.
County: Oglethorpe
Coordinates: N 33° 43.65    W 082° 59.526
  33.72750092    -82.99210358
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
Liberty-Salem-Woodstock-Philomath Marker
Photo by Ed Jackson



Text:

This ancient Church has served under four names and in four counties. Liberty Presbyterian Church was organized by the Rev. Daniel Thatcher, about 1788. The original place of worship, a log house, was erected near War Hill, about seven miles from the present site. The church was called ´Liberty´, because, though built by Presbyterians, all orthodox denominations were allowed to use it. The Presbytery of Hopewell, formed Nov. 3, 1796, held its first session in Liberty Church on March 16, 1798. Soon after 1800, the log house was abandoned, and a new structure erected at the top of Starr´s Hill on the old Greensboro Post Road. The name of the church was then changed to Salem. the Rev. Francis Cummins was the first minister to preach there. This building was used until 1834, when the location of the Greensboro road was changed, and a new church edifice was erected at the site of the present Phillips Mills Baptist Church. the Rev. S. J. Cassels was the first pastor, followed by the Rev. Francis R. Goulding. In 1848, the Salem church building was sold to the Baptists, and the entire Presbyterian membership moved to Woodstock, now Philomath, where a new church edifice had been built. The Rev. John W. Reid was pastor at the time of the removal.

GHM 109-5 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1958



 

 

109-5