Historic Markers Across Georgia



Beth-Salem Presbyterian Church



Marker ID: GHM 109-6
Location: Church and Meson Streets, Lexington
County: Oglethorpe
Coordinates: N 33° 52.206    W 083° 6.528
  33.87009811    -83.1088028
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6RNY
Beth-Salem Presbyterian Church Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

Beth-Salem Presbyterian Church was organized on December 20, 1785, in the wilderness about three miles West of this site, under the leadership of Mr. John Newton, then a licentiate. It was the first of a chain of Presbyterian churches established in North Georgia in the latter part of the 18th century, by the Presbytery of South Carolina. The Rev. John Newton was the first minister, serving Beth-Salem until his death in 1797. Ezekiel Gilham, James Parks and James Espey were elders.

Later, Beth-Salem was moved to the present site, and on December 20, 1827, was chartered by the Legislature.

Charter members were: William Campbell, David McLaughlin, William Lesley, Samuel McCauley, John Pharr, John F. Wallace, Joseph Espey, Mrs. Marion Greer, Mrs. Jane Jewell, Mrs. Jane Campbell, Sam McLaughlin, Mrs. Lesley, Mary Espey, Ann Gaulding, Damary Baldwin, Hannah Upson, Sarah Walley, Martha Gilham, Sarah Moore, Mrs. Mary Kennedy, Miss Maria Harrison, The Rev. Thomas Goulding.

GHM 109-6 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1958



Beth-Salem Presbyterian Church
Beth-Salem Presbyterian Church
Photo by Ken Moser



 

109-6