Historic Markers Across Georgia



Site of Popes Chapel



Marker ID:  
Location: On Hutchins Wolfskin Rd east of Bull Bray Rd, Crawford, Ga
County: Oglethorpe
Coordinates: N 33° 50.590    W 083° 12.200
  33.84316666    -83.20333333
  The coordinates have been estimated
based on the location of the marker.
Style: Carved Stone **
Waymark: None
Site of Popes Chapel Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

Site of Popes Chapel
1799- 1860
On
Land owned by Burwell Pope


Established is a church by 1799 from a Methodist society in the home of Burwell Pope 1751- 1800.
3/10 Mi. SW or the home of his brother Henry a Pope
1760- 1807 .2 Mi. SW (Barrow Place)

Sponsored by, the commission own archives in history, North Georgia conference United Methodist Church.

Marker provided by Edward B Pope, Washington, Georgia
GR GR GR Grandson of Burwell

On Sunday 11- 22, 1803 Bishop Francis Asbury,
Hope Hall and Stith Mede preached here
about 1000 in congregation.




Site of Popes Chapel
Photo by Ken Moser


Notes:

Marker is off to the side of the road.

 

109-A3