Historic Markers Across Georgia



Cloud's Creek Baptist Church



Marker ID: GHS 109-1
Location: on Cloud's Creek Road 1.4 miles west of Ga 22 north of Lexington 33
County: Oglethorpe
Coordinates: N 33° 58.392    W 083° 7.362
  33.97320175    -83.12270355
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6RP0
Cloud's Creek Baptist Church Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

In 1785, following the Revolutionary War, pioneers from North Carolina -- including the Hendons, Hartsfields, Standifers, Johnsons, Lawrences, and Olives -- settled near Big Cloud´s Creek on the Georgia frontier near the Creek and Cherokee nations. Olive´s Fort was soon constructed and Cloud´s Creek Baptist Church was constituted within its walls in 1788. The church was later moved 2 1/2 miles south to its present location on land deeded by Thomas Hendon in 1798. The second and current sanctuary on the new site was constructed in 1909 and continues in use today.

1999.14 Erected by The Georgia Historical Society, Cloud´s Creek Baptist Church, Descendants of Robinson and Elizabeth Hartsfield Hendon, and Historic Oglethorpe County, Inc. 109-1



Cloud's Creek Baptist Church
Cloud's Creek Baptist Church
Photo by Ken Moser



 

109-HS1