Historic Markers Across Georgia



Polk's Corps at Dallas and New Hope Church



Marker ID: GHM 110-20
Location: Ga 6 Bus at junction with Ga 120/Ga 360
County: Paulding
Coordinates: N 33° 54.551    W 084° 46.755
  33.90917918    -84.77925014
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM2MV6
Polk's Corps at Dallas and New Hope Church Marker  



Text:

Lt. Gen. Leonidas Polk´s corps which had moved from Allatoona as left flank of Johnston´s army [CSA] via Lost Mtn. & Mt. Tabor Ch.~reached this vicinity May 24, 1864.
After return of Hardee´s A.C. [CSA] from Powder Springs (May 25), Polk´s troops formed the center of Johnston´s line facing the Federal lines to the West.

When deployed, Polk´s left was at Wigley´s Mill in gap of Ellsberry Mtn.: his center & rt. at & above New Hope Ch.~a position he held in the 10 days of conflict mostly fought on the left & right of the army.

GHM 110-20 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1953



 

 

110-20