Historic Markers Across Georgia



Paulding County



Marker ID: GHM 110-5
Location: Courthouse in Dallas
County: Paulding
Coordinates: N 33° 55.434    W 084° 50.475
  33.92390357    -84.84124836
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM2943
Paulding County Marker  



Text:

Created December 3, 1832, and named for John Paulding, one of the captors of Major Andre, accomplice of Benedict Arnold. Van Wert, the first county seat, was named for another of the captors. When Polk County was created in 1851, Dallas became the Paulding county seat. Construction of the Seaboard and Southern Railroads through the county, and introduction of the textile industry, were of much importance to county growth.

In 1864 major battles were fought at New Hope and Dallas.

GHM 110-5 Georgia Historical Commission 1953



 

 

110-5