Historic Markers Across Georgia



Peach County



Marker ID: GHM 111-1
Location: Courthouse in Fort Valley
County: Peach
Coordinates: N 32° 33.223    W 083° 53.28
  32.55372375    -83.88799723
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7F78
Peach County Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

This County, created by Act of the Legislature July 18, 1924, is named for one of Georgia´s leading crops, the Georgia Peach known throughout the nation and beyond. The famous Elberta Peach was developed in Georgia by Samuel B. Rumph and is grown widely in this area. Among the first County Offices were: Sheriff George D. Anderson, Clerk of Superior Court Emmett Houser, Ordinary M.C. Moseley, Tax Receiver C.N. Rountree, Tax Collector T.E. Tharpe, Treasurer C.E. Martin, Coroner W.H. Hafer and Surveyor T.F. Flournoy.

GHM 111-1 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954



Peach County Courthouse
Peach County
Photo by Ken Moser



 

111-1