Historic Markers Across Georgia



St. Luke's Episcopal Church



Marker ID: GHS 111-1
Location: at the St. Luke's Episcopal Church in Fort Valley
County: Peach
Coordinates: N 32° 32.489    W 083° 53.756
  32.541484    -83.895928
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7F7D
St. Luke's Episcopal Church Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

This parish had its origins in the Episcopal Church´s support of Fort Valley High and Industrial School in 1913, which it operated from 1919 until 1939 in partnership with the American Church Institute for Negroes in New York, the Diocese of Atlanta, and the Diocese of Georgia. In 1939 the school became Fort Valley State College and part of the University System of Georgia. Fort Valley College Center became St. Luke´s Episcopal Church in 1958. Through a gift from New York philanthropist Ethel Mary Cheney Thorne, the current building was designed by Stanislaw Makielski and constructed in 1939-1940.

111-1 GEORGIA HISTORICAL SOCIETY 2003.3



St Luke’s Episcopal Church
St. Luke's Episcopal Church
Photo by David Seibert



 

111-HS1