Historic Markers Across Georgia



Oglethorpe Monument



Marker ID: GHS 112-1
Location: at the monument on Main St. (opposite old jail), Jasper
County: Pickens
Coordinates: N 34° 28.208    W 084° 25.869
  34.47013664    -84.43115181
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM224A
Oglethorpe Monument Marker  



Text:

This 38-foot monument was designed and dedicated in 1930 by Colonel Sam Tate of Georgia Marble Company, as a tribute to General James Edward Oglethorpe, founder of the colony of Georgia. Attendees included Governor Lamartine G. Hardman and other prominent dignitaries. It was carved by James Watt from Cherokee marble quarried locally. These quarries are the largest in the United States. The monument was located 10 miles east on Mount Oglethorpe (Grassy Knob), southern terminus of the Appalachian Trail until 1958. It was restored and moved here in 1999.

2001.9 Erected by The Georgia Historical Society and the City of Jasper 112-1



 

 

112-1A