Historic Markers Across Georgia



Old Federal Road



Marker ID: GHM 112-3A
Location: Ga 5, 3 miles north of Tate at Jasper City Limits
County: Pickens
Coordinates:   
Status: The marking is missing.
Waymark: None
 



Text:

The highway coming from the right is the Old Federal Road, northwest Georgia´s first vehicular way and the earliest postal route of this area. It began on the southeastern boundary of the Cherokees in the direction of Athens, linking Georgia and Tennessee across the Indian Country. Rights to open the thoroughfare were grabbed informally by the Cherokees in 1803 and confirmed in the 1805 Treaty of Tellico, Tennessee.

´Daniels´ an early stand and stage stop on the old trace stood here.

GHM 112-2 Georgia Historical Commission 1954