Historic Markers Across Georgia



Georgia Marble Company and the Village of Tate



Marker ID: GHS 112-2
Location: Located behind the train station in Tate in front of the Tate Cemetery.
County: Pickens
Coordinates: N 34° 24.841    W 084° 23.195
  34.414017    -84.386583
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM2JHC
Georgia Marble Company and the Village of Tate Marker  



Text:

The Georgia Marble Company began in 1884 as one of many small marble quarrying operations in the region. In 1905 Colonel Sam Tate became the company´s president, continuing in that position until his death in 1938. Georgia Marble Company stone can be found in monuments and public buildings around the world, including the Lincoln Memorial and the twenty-four columns of the east front of the U.S. Capitol in Washington, D.C. As the Village of Tate´s largest employer, Gerogia Marble Company provided housing, recreational facilities, and schools for workers and their families. Construction of a company power plant made Tate the first electrified town in the area.

GHS 112-1
Erected by the Georgia Historical Society, Marble Valley Friends, Inc., Tate Community Association, Amicolola Garden Club, and the Pickens County Government. 2007.3



 

 

112-A3