Historic Markers Across Georgia



Confederate Prison Camp



Marker ID: GHM 113-2
Location: Ga 203 near the northwest edge of Blackshear
County: Pierce
Coordinates: N 31° 19.056    W 082° 15.006
  31.3176    -82.2501
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM9RVW
Confederate Prison Camp  Marker
Photo by Ed Jackson



Text:

Here stood a Confederate prison camp for Union prisoners of war. Established about November 18, 1864, the camp held more than five thousand prisoners until the first week of January, 1865. These prisoners were brought here from camps at Millen and probably from Andersonville to avoid the possibility of their being liberated by Sherman´s troops who were then moving southward. The camp was at one time under the command of Colonel H. Forno. Other prisoners from Millen were transferred to camps at Savannah and Florence.

GHM 113-2 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1955



 

Confederate Prison Camp


 

113-2