Historic Markers Across Georgia



Pike County



Marker ID: GHM 114-2
Location: Courthouse in Zebulon
County: Pike
Coordinates: N 33° 6.163    W 084° 20.553
  33.10271008    -84.3425461
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM4JVE
Pike County  Marker  



Text:

Created by Act of Dec. 9, 1822, from Monroe County, Pike County originally contained part of Spalding, Upson and Lamar Counties. It was named for Zebulon Montgomery Pike (1779- 1813), leader, in 1805, of an expedition to trace the Mississippi River to its source. Later he explored the interior of Louisiana. Made a Brig. Gen. in 1813, he was killed at Toronto, Canada, while commanding American forces there. First officers of Pike County, commissioned Feb. 25, 1823, were: Willis Whatley, Sheriff; John H. Broadnax, Clk. Sup. Ct.; William Myrick, Clk. Inf. Ct.; Joel Moore, Coroner. James Lowery, Surveyor, was commissioned Jan. 9, 1824.

GHM 114-2 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956



 
Pike County Courthouse
Pike County


 

114-2