Historic Markers Across Georgia



Pulaski County



Marker ID: GHM 116-1
Location: Courthouse in Hawkinsville
County: Pulaski
Coordinates: N 32° 16.993    W 083° 28.154
  32.28321371    -83.46923385
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMA9RV
Pulaski County Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

This County, created by Act of the Legislature December 13, 1808, is named for Count Casimir Pulaski, Polish hero of the Revolutionary War who died fighting in Georgia and is buried in Savannah. Court was to be held at the home of Isham Jordan until the County Site was selected at Hartford in 1810. It was moved across the Ocmulgee to Hawkinsville in 1836 when this town was incorporated. Among the first County Officers were: Sheriff Lewis Holland, Clerk of the Superior Court Richard H. Thomas, Clerk of Inferior Court John Rainey, Coroner William Brocken and Surveyor John Bush.

GHM 116-1 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954




Pulaski County
Photo by Ken Moser



 

116-1