Historic Markers Across Georgia



Georgia 4-H Center



Marker ID: GHM 117-2
Location: US 441 north of Eatonton at E entrance to Rock Eagle 4-H Center
County: Putnam
Coordinates: N 33° 25.055    W 083° 22.356
  33.4175896    -83.37259995
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6ZKA
Georgia 4-H Center Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

This Georgia 4-H Center is a tribute to former members and an educational training center for all future members.

Georgia 4-H Club work, with its equal training of the Head, heart, Hands and Health, started in 1905 with 151 boys, each growing one acre of corn, under leadership of G.C. Adams, County School Superintendent. In 1911 girls´ tomato and canning projects were started.

Led by County Extension Agents, 4-H Club work became part of the Agricutural [sic] Extension Service, University of Georgia, and U.S. Department of Agriculture in 1914. Membership 126,927 in 1953.

117-2 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954



Georgia 4-H Center
Georgia 4-H Center
Photo by Ken Moser



 

117-2