Historic Markers Across Georgia



Concord Methodist Church



Marker ID: GHM 117-8
Location: On Pea Ridge Road between US 441 and Ga 16 SE of Eatonton
County: Putnam
Coordinates: N 33° 16.769    W 083° 18.198
  33.27947723    -83.30329433
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6ZQZ
Concord Methodist Church Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

The oldest Methodist church west of the Oconee River, Concord, first called Victory, was established in 1810, when William B. Prichard and Thomas Johnston built a little log church on the Stage Coach Line from Milledgeville to Athens, on land donated by Thomas Johnston. The first pastor was Drury Powell. the first presiding elder was Dr. Lovick Pierce, the father of Bishop George F. Pierce. The named was changed to Concord after 1812.

A very strong church in its early days, Concord´s membership included the Harrison, Arnold, Baugh, White, Wilson and many other families.

117-8 Georgia Historical Commission 1957



Concord Methodist Church
Concord Methodist Church
Photo by Ken Moser



 

117-8