Historic Markers Across Georgia



Union Chapel United Methodist Church



Marker ID:  
Location: Union Chapel Road at Rock Eagle Road
County: Putnam
Coordinates: N 33° 25.616    W 083° 24.209
  33.42693333    -83.40348333
  The coordinates have been estimated
based on the location of the marker.
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
Union Chapel United Methodist Church Marker
Photo by David Seibert



Text:

On April 24, 1855, Irby Hudson Scott deeded to the trustees of a new newly organized and consolidated Methodist Episcopal group, three and three-quarter acres of land in the Tompkins district in Putnam County, Georgia. A church building was to be erected on the land. There had rocked been a small church on nearby land owned by the Hearn family named Bethel Church. There was also a small church named Rock Chapel on what used to be known as "the Ridge Road, " and now called the uncle Remus U.S. Highway 441. Because the membership of each of the two churches was small, they united into one larger congregation and built a house of worship on the land offered for the purpose by Mr. Scott. These early members built well and today the building is still in excellent condition. No one now living knows where the lumber was milled but it is all the very best heart pine lumber, nowhere to be found today. The sills and framework are hand-hewn and pinned. The doors and triple-sash windows are said to have been made in the August, Georgia, and hauled overland to the building site. The lumber was used to make the pews and the doors and window facing are all hand planned. The pulpit Bible was presented in 1855 and the first pastor was the Rev. Henry Morton. As early as 1867, there was a Sunday school at Union Chapel. Mr. Cullen S. Credille was superintendent of the male members and Mrs. Mary Scott was superintendent of the female members. Many years ago the orientation of the interior was changed with the pulpit and pews being reversed. Originally, the pulpit was before the high window between the two front doors, and was mounted by steps. A new pulpit and communion rail was installed at the opposite end of the building and a centered door was removed and the opening close. On August 13, 1913, a delegation of 25 gentlemen from the Reod´s Crossroad community went before the Putnam County board of education and requested that a better school be built in the area. The board voted to build a new school at Union Chapel. The builder was Mr. Robert E. Vining and the school opened in November 1913 and was in continuous operation until county school consolidation forced its closure on May 25, 1946. The school´s first teacher was Mrs. Fannie Mae Jones. It has been used since as Sunday school space by the church. For generations United Chapel Church and school have been important part of this community. To those who came before us who raised the roof, stoked the fire, and kept the faith - WE SALUTE YOU! And to those who continue with the faith, friendship, hope and love of this body of believers - GODSPEED.

Erected September 2001 by Union Chapel United Methodist Church, friends, and The Eatonton-Putnam County Historical Society, Inc.
In loving memory of George Barnett Garden
(February 24, 1937 - December 6, 2000)



 

 

117-A14