Historic Markers Across Georgia



Site of John C. Mason's Dwelling House (Side 2)



Marker ID: Eatonton Baptist Church 
Location: Madison Avenue at Harris St., Eatonton
County: Putnam
Coordinates: N 33° 19.629    W 083° 23.417
  33.3271502    -83.39029114
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6ZXP
Site of John C. Mason's Dwelling House (Side 2) Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

Continued from side 1

The dwelling house was owned by members of the Mason family until 1863. After a series of owners (during which time it was rented by William Jefferson who printed the first Eatonton Messenger, then Press and Messenger in 1867) the house was bought by the deacons of the Eatonton Baptist Church for a pastorium, May 29, 1891. Five years later the house was taken down and rebuilt as a modern Victorian cottage about hundred feet south, leaving room on the corner for the new church, the corner stone being laid June 24, 1896. The Eatonton Baptist Church constituted Nov. 17, 1818 worshipped in the Union Church from the dedication March 24, 1820 until its church building was dedicated March 21, 1897. The cornerstone of the present building was laid May 21, 1897. At that time the pastorium was moved to the rear of the church, no loner in use the house was razed in July 1974.

Erected by the Eatonton Baptist Church 1977




Site of John C. Mason's Dwelling House (Side 2)
Photo by Ken Moser


Notes:

Two sided marker

 

117-A4