Historic Markers Across Georgia



Georgetown



Marker ID: GHM 118-2
Location: Courthouse on US 82 in Georgetown
County: Quitman
Coordinates: N 31° 53.146    W 085° 6.54
  31.88577447    -85.1090034
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMAFKZ
Georgetown Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

Settled in the early 1830´s this town was first named Tobanana [?] for the nearby creek. The Tobonana post office was established January 10, 1833, and the name was changed to Georgetown September 21, 1836 in honor of Georgetown, District of Columbia.

Among the first settlers at Georgetown were the families of Captain Harrison Adam Leonard, Kenneth McKenzie, William Oliver and James Salisbury. Other early families represented were Bledsoe, Christian, Crawford, Ellington, Guerry, Mercer, Morris, Neel and Warren.

Georgetown was designated in 1859 as the county seat of Quitman Co. and was laid out as a town by order of the Inferior Court. The town was incorporated by Act of the Legislature Dec. 9, 1859. In the immediate vicinity on the Georgia side of the Chattahoochee River was located the original Lower Creek Indian town of Eufaula which was visited and described by Benjamin Hawkins, U.S. Indian Agent in 1799.

Near Georgetown on the banks of Tobanana Creek a brigade of Federal Cavalry commanded by Gen Benjamin H. Greierson camped for a time in 1865 at the close of War Between the States.

GHM 118-2 Georgia Historical Commission



 

 

118-2