Historic Markers Across Georgia



Quitman County's Old Jail



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: Courthouse on US 82 in Georgetown
County: Quitman
Coordinates: N 31° 53.157    W 085° 6.543
  31.88594744    -85.10905267
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMAFQW
Quitman County's Old Jail Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

The original jail was a wooden structure built in 1859. It was replaced in 1891 with this brick structure which is typical of rural jails built during this period in southeast Alabama and southwest Georgia counties. The commissioners in 1890 - 1891 were: J.E. Harris, Dr. P.M. Bledsoe, J.P. Kimble and W.A. Cumbie, Judge of Superior Court: James H. Guerry; Ordinary M.L. Albritton; Clerk of Court: G.A. Whitaker; Quitman County´s First Sheriff was Sam Guerry.

Erected by Historic Chattahoochee Commission 1980



 

Quitman County's Old Jail


 

118-A3