Historic Markers Across Georgia



Union United Methodist Church



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: 5 miles north of Morris/US 82
County: Quitman
Coordinates: N 31° 52.533    W 084° 56.280
  31.87555    -84.938
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMAFKG
Union United Methodist Church Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

Side 1
Organized as a non-denominational church in 1837, Union United Methodist Church is the oldest church in Quitman County. Thirty-four charter members constituted its initial membership. Among them were Mrs. George Ellis, the first charter member, and Mrs. Adelyn Lee Crumbley, who donated the land for the original church. The present 1867 structure replaces the original log building. Trustees in 1867 were: Abraham Shields, John Phillips, Thomas S. Bryant, James W. Lewis, and James Suggs.
Side 2
The church building is surrounded by a cemetery. The oldest marked graves date from the 1850´s. The present land was purchased from J. J. Crumbley and the deed was recorded in 1865. Homemade church benches are still in use. The communion table, assembled with pegs by Jehu Phillips, was used until the 1960´s. Union Church is in the Georgetown charge and remains active.
Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, 1980



 
Union United Methodist Church
Union United Methodist Church


 

118-A4