Historic Markers Across Georgia



Rabun County



Marker ID: GHM 119-1
Location: US 76 West on Courthouse lawn, Clayton
County: Rabun
Coordinates: N 34° 52.72    W 083° 24.171
  34.878668    -83.402856
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM113B
Rabun County Marker
Photo by cldisme



Text:

This County created by Act of the Legislature Dec. 21, 1819, is named for William Rabun, 11th Governor of Georgia who was elected in 1817 and died in 1819. Self-educated by reading he served as a member of the Legislature and as President of the Senate. Here now is located the famous Rabun Gap-Nacoochee School for the education of entire families. Among the first County Officers were: Justices of the Inferior Court Edward Coffee, John McClure, Samuel Farris, William Kelly, William Gillespie, Andrew Miller, James Dillard and Clerk Thomas Kelly.

GHM 119-1 Georgia Historical Commission 1954



 

 

119-1