Historic Markers Across Georgia



Lake Rabun Lakemont, Georgia (2 sided marker)



Marker ID: GHM None
Location: At Lakemont on Lake Rabun Rd south of Old 441
County: Rabun
Coordinates: N 34° 46.178    W 083° 26.126
  34.769627    -83.435428
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM76E9
Lake Rabun Lakemont, Georgia (2 sided marker) Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

Side 1

The Lake Rabun Association, first chartered in 1928, emphasizes property security and water safety; and sponsors events which foster community spirit- wooden boat parades, flea markets, home tours, golf tournaments, and Thanksgiving gatherings. The Clayton United Methodist Church began a flotilla `Boat Church` ministry in 1972. A college scholarship fund for Rabun County students was established in 1987. Georgia`s first inland marine volunteer fire station operates on the lake with equipment provided by the Lake Rabun Association.

Erected by the Lake Rabun Association 1986

Side 2

Built at the foot of one of the longest and deepest valleys in the Blue Ridge Mountains, Lake Rabun began filling in May 1915 to form a reservoir of over ten million gallons covering 834 acres with a normal water level of 1690 feet above mean sea level. It was the first of six power producing lakes developed by Georgia Railway and Power Company on the Tallulah and Tugalo rivers. As a Georgia source and a water supply for local communities; while providing recreational activities for all interested.

Erected by the Lake Rabun Association 1986




Lake Rabun Lakemont, Georgia (2 sided marker)
Photo by Ken Moser



 

119-A1