Historic Markers Across Georgia



Tallulah Falls Railway and Depot



Marker ID: GHS 119-1
Location: At old Depot, 105 Moss St at US 441 in Tallulah Falls
County: Rabun
Coordinates: N 34° 44.192    W 083° 23.552
  34.736528    -83.392539
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
Tallulah Falls Railway and Depot  Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

Construction of Tallulah Falls Railway began in 1871 at Cornelia, GA, reached Tallulah Falls in 1882, and extended to Franklin, NC, by 1907. As the northern terminus of the rail line for over twenty years, Tallulah Falls became a popular resort town. Trading opportunities also increased for this remote region and the depot served as a social center. The original depot burned in 1912 and was replaced by the present building in 1913-14. With a decline in tourism, passenger rail service ended by 1946. Ongoing repair costs and mounting debt forced the railway to cease operations in 1961.

1999-2 Erected by the Georgia Historical Society, Ga. Mtn. Arts Products Association, Bright Wings Foundation, and Standard Telephone Company.119-1



 

 

119-HS1