Historic Markers Across Georgia



Andrew Female College



Marker ID: GHM 120-2A
Location: Town Square in Cuthbert, GA
County: Randolph
Coordinates: N 31° 46.273    W 084° 47.378
  31.77121402    -84.78963001
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMA76C
Andrew Female College Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

This institution was founded in 1854 and conducted under the auspices of the South Georgia Conference of the Methodist Church. It was named for Bishop James E. Andrew (1794-1871), a noted pioneer leader of Methodism. Augustus Alden was the first college president.

This college has been a great source of supply for school teachers in Southwest Georgia. During the War Between the States the buildings were used for a Confederate hospital.

In 1892 the college was destroyed by fire and more modern buildings were erected.

120-2A GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1983



 
Notes:

For more information, see: Andrew College - GHM 120-5

 

120-2A