Historic Markers Across Georgia



Seminole War Path - Removed



Marker ID: GHM 120-4
Location: US 27 about 6 mi N of Cuthbert at road to Benevolence
County: Randolph
Coordinates:   
Status: The marker has been removed.
Waymark: None
 



Text:

On this land lot the highway crosses the old trail through Creek Indian territory from Fort Perry on the Old Federal Road to Fort Gaines on the Chattahoochee River.

Surveyed by order of General Edmund P. Gaines in 1817, it was blazed by Volunteer Mounted Gunmen of West Tennessee in March 1818. These seasoned gunmen were mustered by order of Major General Andrew Jackson at Fayetteville, Tenn.

Many of them had fought with Jackson at Horseshoe Bend in 1814. Reaching Fort Gaines in early April 1818, they proceeded thence to join Jackson´s forces in engagements with the Seminole Indians below Fort Scott - at Fowl Town, Ecofinah or Natural Bridge, and Bow Legs Town on the Suwanee River.

GHM 120-4 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION



 
Notes:

Removed
Same text as marker GHM 120-2B