Historic Markers Across Georgia



Andrew College



Marker ID: GHM 120-5
Location: US 82W in Cuthbert at the campus opposite Andrew Street
County: Randolph
Coordinates: N 31° 46.314    W 084° 47.72
  31.77189667    -84.79533358
Waymark: WMA76P
Andrew College Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

Cuthbert is the site of Andrew College, founded here January 1854, named in honor of Bishop James O. Andrew whose refusal to free his Wife´s slaves separated the Northern and Southern Methodist Episcopal Churches (1844). First President - Augustus Alden, of Yale, a pioneer in Georgia for higher education.

The second college chartered to confer graduate degrees upon women. Served as a Confederate Hospital 1863-65.

The first women´s college in the Soth to include Physical Education in its curriculum (1867)

Today, a fully accredited Junior College, it has upheld throughout a century the highest principles of education, Christian womanhood.

GHM 120-5 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION



 
Notes:

For more information, see: Andrew Female College - GHM 120-2A

 

120-5