Historic Markers Across Georgia



Randolph County



Marker ID: GHM 120-9
Location: Courthouse in Cuthbert, GA
County: Randolph
Coordinates: N 31° 46.36    W 084° 47.353
  31.77266777    -84.78922115
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMA76E
Randolph County Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

Randolph County was created by Act of Dec. 20, 1828 from Lee County. Originally Randolph County included all of what is now Stewart and Quitman and part of Terrell and Clay Counties. It was named for `John Randolph of Roanoke` (1773-1833), Virginia statesman, for many years a member of the House of Representatives and Senate. He actively opposed the War of 1812 and the Missouri Compromise. First officers of this County, commissioned Jan. 12, 1830, were: Michael H. Hinch, Sheriff; Thomas R. Mangham, Clerk Superior Court; John M. Dennis, Clerk Inferior Court; Arnold E. Bloodworth, Surveyor; Joseph Day, Coroner.

GHM 120-9 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956



 

 

120-9