Historic Markers Across Georgia



Old Carnegie Library



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: intersection of N. Lumpkin and Pearl Sts., Cuthbert, GA
County: Randolph
Coordinates: N 31° 46.325    W 084° 47.43
  31.77209006    -84.79049901
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMAFGA
Old Carnegie Library Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

[Side 1] The first formal meeting to organize a library association was held at Andrew College in April 1878 with Dr. A. L. Hamilton presiding. The thirteen members of the Cuthbert Library Club offered their book collections, and Judge John T. Clark offered space in his office for the headquarters. The Cuthbert Book Club, operating from 1905-1905, was the next library organization. In 1917, a library board consisting of Mrs. J. B. Bussey, Chair; Mrs. Julian B. Edings, Mrs. John D. Gunn, Mrs. Charlie Harris, Mrs. G. Y. Moore, A. A. Lockett, A. C. Moye, B. B. Teabeaut and E. C. Teel was appointed to work with the Cuthbert Woman´s Club to secure funding from the Andrew Carnegie Foundation.

[Side 2] To raise the matching funds, the Cuthbert Woman´s Club spearheaded the effort by having oyster suppers, a womanless wedding, turkey dinners, and ice cream festivals. The first brick was laid on October 17, 1917. On September 5, 1918, the debt was cleared, and the library was officially dedicated. Emily Hillyer Owen became the first librarian. The next librarian, Ida Domingos, served for 27 years. The Carnegie Library Building became the Randolph Chamber of Commerce headquarters in 1997 when the new building was built.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and Randolph Historical Society, 2001




Old Carnegie Library
Photo by Ken Moser



 

120-A3