Historic Markers Across Georgia



Site of First Church Building in Cuthbert, Georgia



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: Rosedale Cemetery off US 82E, Cuthbert, GA
County: Randolph
Coordinates: N 31° 46.299    W 084° 47.186
  31.77164762    -84.78642682
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMA7AB
Site of First Church Building in Cuthbert, Georgia Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

The first church building in Cuthbert was erected on this site in 1839. Deacons Stephen Lundy and Allen Moye bought this lot from Jane Reynolds in 1837. The congregation of Mt. Zion Baptist Church, constituted in 1831, moved from their former location on Eufaula Road and constructed a frame building 30 feet by 40 feet with glass windows. In 1852 a new church was built facing College Street and renamed Cuthbert Baptist Church.

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Randolph County Historical Society, 1980




Site of First Church Building in Cuthbert, Georgia
Photo by Ken Moser



 

120-A7