Historic Markers Across Georgia



Site of First Randolph County Courthouse



Marker ID: HCC 
Location: Town Square, Cuthbert, GA
County: Randolph
Coordinates: N 31° 46.285    W 084° 47.365
  31.77142438    -84.78941893
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMA768
Site of First Randolph County Courthouse Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

The area of this square marks the site of the first and second courthouses of Randolph County. The first, a two-story frame building, was erected in 1836. It was replaced in 1842 by a brick structure with entrances facing in four directions[.] A high fence with four stiles encloses the area. When the present courthouse, one block north, was completed in 1886, this `Old Courthouse Lot` was conveyed to the city of Cuthbert `for use as a public park forever.`

ERECTED BY THE HISTORIC CHATTAHOOCHEE COMMISSION
AND THE RANDOLPH COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY




Site of First Randolph County Courthouse
Photo by Ken Moser



 

120-A8