Historic Markers Across Georgia



The Augusta Canal



Marker ID: GHM 121-1
Location: 13th Street at Walton Way and Fenwick St, Augusta, GA
County: Richmond
Coordinates: N 33° 28.325    W 081° 58.717
  33.47209    -81.97861
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM4E23
The Augusta Canal Marker
Photo by Hawaiian Ninja



Text:

The Augusta Canal, begun in 1845 and completed in 1847, provided power for one of the first cotton textile manufacturing plants in the South and was the beginning of the development of Augusta as a great textile manufacturing center.

The canal was built by Col. Henry R. Cumming, who hired engineers to make surveys for the waterway. Water was let into the first level of the canal in 1846. It was enlarged and lengthened by Charles Estes in 1875.

GHM 121-1 Georgia Historical Commission 1956



 

 

121-1