|Latitude 34 North|
Historic Markers Across Georgia
The Tobacco Road
First laid out about 1789 to enable tobacco to be carried to New Savannah, which was above the Savannah River floods and which had two months more of navigation than the City of Augusta. On this road, which was extended toward north Georgia without crossing a stream, tobacco hogsheads were rolled to the warehouses. Later the sand hills along which the road ran became the site of summer homes such as `Kenilworth`, `Seclusaval`, and `Windsor`, the retreats of wealthy planters to escape the heat and pests of the lowlands. After the Confederate War the road lost importance.
GHM 121-10 Georgia Historical Commission