Historic Markers Across Georgia



The First Presbyterian Church



Marker ID: GHM 121-11
Location: 500 block of Telfair Street, Augusta, GA
County: Richmond
Coordinates: N 33° 28.264    W 081° 57.856
  33.47106    -81.96427
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7A39
The First Presbyterian Church Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

Organized by the Rev. Washington McKnight, rector of Richmond Academy, in 1804. Met at first at site of St. Paul`s Church, incorporated by the Georgia General Assembly and given a lot on the common by Richmond Academy Trustees. Cornerstone of the present church laid July 4, 1809. Building dedicated May 17, 1812. Spire added in 1818. An outstanding pastor was the Rev. Joseph R. Wilson, 1858- 1870, father of Woodrow Wilson. December 4, 1861, the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church in the United States was organized here.

In the Confederate War the church and grounds were used as part of a military hospital and temporary detention camp for prisoners of war.

The building was renovated in 1892. The Telfair building was added in 1881 for Sunday School. New Sunday school addition made in 1951.

GHM 121-11 Georgia Historical Commission 1954



First Presbyterian Church
The First Presbyterian Church
Photo by Ken Moser



 

121-11