Historic Markers Across Georgia



Medical College Building



Marker ID: GHM 121-14
Location: Sixth and Telfair Streets, Augusta, GA
County: Richmond
Coordinates: N 33° 28.236    W 081° 57.77
  33.4706    -81.96283333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMWEPV
Medical College Building Marker  



Text:

Medical College
Building


On this property, owned by the Trustees of Richmond Academy, this building was designed by the distinguished Georgia architect, Charles B. Cluskey, for the use by the Medical College of Georgia. It was occupied by the Medical College from its completion in 1835 until 1912, when the College removed to Railroad Ave (today's R. A. Dent Blvd). After removal of the Medical College this building was used for the manual training and science departments of the Richmond Academy until 1926.





GHM 121-14 Re-erected in 2016 by the Georgia Historical Society 1954



 

Medical College Building

Notes:

This marker replaced a previous marker erected in 1954 by the Georgia Historical Commission with the same title and number. The first marker that stood near this location read “On this property, owned by the Trustees of Richmond Academy, this building was designed by the distinguished Georgia architect, Charles B. Cluskey, for the use by the Medical College of Georgia. It was occupied by the Medical College from its completion in 1835 until 1911, when the College removed to University Place. After removal of the Medical College this building was used for the manual training and science departments of the Richmond Academy until 1926.” The present marker corrects the location where the College moved to in 1912.

 

121-14