Historic Markers Across Georgia



The First Academy of Richmond County



Marker ID: GHM 121-17
Location: Bay and Fourth Streets, Augusta, GA
County: Richmond
Coordinates: N 33° 28.435    W 081° 57.325
  33.473925    -81.955411
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7A6Q
The First Academy of Richmond County Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

One block east on Bay Street was opened as a boy´s classical school on April 12, 1785. Here President George Washington attended examinations in 1791. The buildings housed the• General Assembly of Georgia when Augusta was the capital, the Federal District and Circuit courts, the county Superior and Inferior courts and the Masonic Lodge Columbia. In 1798 the school was closed because of a lack of money and the dilapidation of the buildings. It was reopened in 1802 on Telfair Street. Thence, it was removed to Baker Avenue in 1926.

GHM 121-17 Georgia Historical Commission 1954



 

 

121-17