Historic Markers Across Georgia



The White House or Mackay's Trading Post - Replaced by GHM 121-48



Marker ID: GHM 121-21
Location: 1822 Broad Street, Augusta, GA
County: Richmond
Coordinates:   
Status: The marker has been removed.
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Red, a Va. planter, played an important role in the Indian trade and the Revolutionary War in Ga. As Mackay's Trading Post, operated by Robert Mackay for nearly ten years prior to the Revolution, it was part of the lucrative Augusta Indian trade. Mackay, a Scot, was popular with the Indians, and his trading post was often the scene of important negotiations between Indians and whites.

In Sept., 1780, the White House was beseiged by Col. Elijah Clark and a band of patriots intent upon recapturing Augusta. British troops under Col. Thomas Brown and their Indian allies had retreated to this building. After a four-day siege, during which the British, deprived of water, were nearly forced to surrender, reenforcements arrived from Ninety-six. The Americans withdrew, leaving twenty-nine of their wounded behind. Thirteen patriots were hanged into the stairwell of the White House so that Col. Brown, who lay wounded, could watch their dying. The rest were delivered to the Indians to be tortured and killed.

This site was purchased by the Richmond county Historical Society and deeded to the State of Georgia. It is operated by the Georgia Historical Commission.


Source: Georgia Historical Markers; by Carroll Proctor Scruggs; Bay Tree Grove publishing, 1973; page 409



 
Notes:

Replaced by GHM 121-48