Historic Markers Across Georgia



The Mayham Tower



Marker ID: GHM 121-23
Location: Eighth and Reynolds Streets, Augusta, GA
County: Richmond
Coordinates: N 33° 28.601    W 081° 57.872
  33.47669    -81.96453
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMHCV
 



Text:

Approximately at this place, May 28-31, 1781, a Mayham tower was erected by the American forces commanded by General Andrew Pickens and Lt. Colonel `Light Horse Harry` Lee, who was besieging Fort Cornwallis, located on the present site of Saint Paul`s Church, held by a British garrison under Colonel Thomas Brown.

At the top of this tower constructed of logs filled in with earth, an embrasure was cut and a six-pounder gun was lifted into position which from elevation was able to rake the interior of the fort, so that the besieged had to dig holes for their protection, and on June 5, the British garrison of 300 surrendered to Major Rudolph, whom tradition identifies as the later Marshal Ney. Thereafter, Augusta and all of North and Central Georgia remained in American hands until the end of the War.

GHM 121-23 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956



 

 

121-23