Historic Markers Across Georgia



The First Baptist Church



Marker ID: GHM 121-29
Location: Greene and Eighth Streets, Augusta, GA
County: Richmond
Coordinates: N 33° 28.402    W 081° 57.999
  33.47337    -81.96665
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMHDF
The First Baptist Church Marker
Photo by TheConaways



Text:

In March 1817, eight men and two women meeting in an Augusta home formed `The Baptist Praying Society of Augusta` - the forerunner of the First Baptist Church. Two months later the society was constituted a church under the leadership of the first minister, Wm. T. Brantley, this property was purchased in 1870. A church on this site was dedicated May 26, 1821. In 1845, after serious friction arose in the national Triennial Convention 327 delegated from eight southern states and the District of Columbia met here to form the Southern Baptist COnvention. This building was erected in 1902.

GHM 121-29 Georgia Historical Commission 1956



 

 

121-29