Historic Markers Across Georgia



Liberty Methodist Church - Replaced by GHM 121-47



Marker ID: GHM 121-33
Location: E of Hephzibah and US 1 on Liberty Church Rd S of Browns Rd
County: Richmond
Coordinates:   
Status: The marker has been removed.
Waymark: None
 



Text:

The exact date of its founding is not known but Bishop Francis Asbury tells of standing behind its pulpit in 1790. Methodist historians believe that old Liberty was organized by Thomas Humphries and John Major, who were sent into Georgia as missionaries by the Virginia Methodist Conference in 1786.

During at least 166 years of sacred service as a religious center, three buildings have stood on this hallowed site. The present building is more than 100 years old and its walls have echoed the voices of many honored Men of God. Despite the fact that it is strictly rural, Liberty Church still has many active members who insist that this church will never die.


Source: Georgia Historical Markers; by Carroll Proctor Scruggs; Bay Tree Grove publishing, 1973; page 414



 
Notes:

Replaced by GHM 121-47