Historic Markers Across Georgia



Fort Grierson



Marker ID: GHM 121-4
Location: Eleventh at Reynolds Streets, Augusta, GA
County: Richmond
Coordinates: N 33° 28.727    W 081° 58.209
  33.47878    -81.97015
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM7940
Fort Grierson Marker
Photo by Ken Moser



Text:

Approximate location of Ft. Grierson, named after British Lt. Col. James Grierson, who commanded a temporary stronghold at this place during occupation of Augusta by the British under Col. Brown from May, 1780, to Richard Henry (Light Horse Harry) Lee, approaching from Sand Bar Ferry with General Elijah Clarke, and General Andrew Pickens, approaching from the North and West, the fort was invested and, after vigorous attack, Grierson attempted to escape with his garrison under protection of the river bank to Fort Cornwallis (site of present St. Paul`s Church). Few escaped: Grierson was captured and while a prisoner, was shot by an unknown Georgia rifleman.

GHM 121-4 Georgia Historical Commission 1954



 

 

121-4